FC3, MySQL and PHP [SOLVED]

Trevor "TeC" Christian trevor at bouyon.dalive.com
Mon May 2 17:51:01 UTC 2005

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Ankush Grover wrote:
>
>>> The issue appears to have been between PHP and mysql - re
>>> authentication.  The PHP client does not yet use the new password
>>> format
>>> coming with mysql-4.x servers.  I guess there's something to be said
>>> for
>>> walking away when frustrated.
>>>
>>> SELinux was never fully identified as the "source" of the problems -
>>> especially as i wasn't getting any messages all while i was trying
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Thanx guys.
>>>

>> Hey ,
>>
>> To make php work with mysql 4 or 5 do this.
>>
>> at the command prompt mysql> means when ur at mysql command prompt.
>>
>> set password for user at somedomain =OLD_PASSWORD('newpasswd).
>>
>> For ex
>>
>> set password for root at localhost=OLD_PASSWORD('ankush');
>>
>> now mysql root has the password ankush
>>
>> Set the password as per ur requirements and also the user.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ankush
>>

> What is the purpose of doing all this?

The mysql 4 server has a new password hashing algorithm or something...

All mysql 4.x clients have upgraded to that password form.  However, it
seems the php 4 doesn't not have the updated mysql client and it is
hoped /expected to be present in php 5.

As such the, for the php client to connect to the mysql db, the user
accounts require a password in the old format.

This wasn't obvious to me, because all the tools i used to "check if the
server was running" were compatible with the appropriate password scheme.

--
*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
Cell #: (767) 225 4472
   MSN: trevorc98 at hotmail.com / trevor at bouyon.dalive.com