Problem with system-config-bind

Debbie Deutsch fedora at ddeutsch.org
Mon May 2 22:42:44 UTC 2005

I have upgraded my system from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3.  Previously I was
serving my own domain, no problems.  Now that is not working.  The problem
seems to be in the configuration.

1. There is a new named.config file that was installed during the upgrade.
The old config file was nicely saved under another name.
2. The original zone information in /var/named appears to be unchanged, but
it is not being recognized by Bind, probably because the new named.config
file does not reference my zone file.  I have attempted to use
system-config-bind while logged in as root to fix this.

- while using the tool, adding a record for the zone causes all the original
records for the zone to be recognized.  However, I can't successfully save
the updated config file due to an error, "AttributeError: NS instance has no
attribute 'owner'.
- I have also tried renaming the original zone file and recreating it from
scratch using the system-config-bind tool, but the same error occurs.
- In both instances the nameserver record attempts to designate a host named
like this - ns.mydomain.com - to serve mydomain.com.  The hostname
ns.mydomain.com is an alias for mydomain.com.  Also, I have left the little
box to the left of "mydomain.com" blank in the nameserver record window
because I want the server to serve all of mydomain.com.

3. The version numbers for system-config-tool and the online help for
system-config-tool match, but the dialogue windows shown in the tool and in
the documentation for creating a new forward master zone do not.  Alas, the
tool's help documentation says nothing about creating a nameserver record.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting this? Should I simply resort to editing
named.config by hand to point to my zone file?

Many thanks in advance.

Debbie

P.S. My system ran happily with Redhat 9 for almost 2 years, and yes I am
the person who configured it originally.  I am very comfortable around
computers, but no expert when it comes to Linux configuration.  So, don't
hold back, but don't assume I know all the ins and outs of Linux
administration.  I may be overlooking something very basic here.