Rats -- blew away /etc -- how do I force up2date to rebuild it?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue May 3 00:30:46 UTC 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 08:03 pm, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As the subject line says - I somehow blew away
> Aa-lL* in the /etc directory but recovered everything
> I could from the backup tapes but unfortunately the
> permissions and/or some files are corrupted or missing
> from the latest installs AFTER by last backup -- I lost
> the X11 and KDE but was able to recover X11 (somewhat)
> and moving onto KDE -- but what I really want is to force
> reinstall everything that is needed and is current.
>
> I tried: up2date -f -u and that does not work -- says
> everything is "up to date" and does not bother to check.
>
> I tried: up2date -f -i -- same thing.
>
> So -- how do I force up2date to reinstall or recheck
> all of the files in /etc or at least reinstall everything
> including the updates?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan
Unfortunately up2date, yum, ET AL keep their config files in /etc.

If you are fortunate you may many find rpm files in /var/cache/yum/*/packages.

If not you will probably need to reload the system using cdroms. You could try
reloading/installing without formatting partitions. This should hopefully
retain all data not lost.

--
John H Ludwig

Common sense is so rare, why do they call it common!!!