Yum update seems to have stalled

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Tue May 3 03:10:36 UTC 2005

Ron Siven wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 18:07 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>

>>Herschel wrote:

My yum update also froze on a newly installed Fedora Core 3 system.
Ctrl-C did not work -- after a kill -9, and another "yum update" I was
told that everything was up to date.  However, I was suspicious so I
checked my rpm database and there were about 30 packages that had been
upgraded but the older package had not been removed.

Fixing the problem involved an rpm -e on each of the older duplicate
packages, and then a re-install of the newer package to restore several
missing files that got deleted in the older package removal (seemed like
mostly localization files).  I used the yum cached rpm's for the
reinstall, so at least the packages did not have to be downloaded again.

Cheers,
Raman