Cannot logout of gnome.

Herschel hcohen2 at comcast.net
Tue May 3 15:22:26 UTC 2005

Russell Brown wrote:

>Hi,
>I could not find an answer to this question
>in the archives.
>
>I have FC3 installed with gnome as
>the default desktop.
>
>When I select logout from the main menu, the panel seems to freeze
>and the logout dialog box never appears.
>(Well, once it did appear after about five minutes.
>Usually, I am not that patient.)
>
>I can continue using other windows on
>the desktop and if I kill the panel, it restarts
>and allows me to use other menu items.
>The command line
>
>gnome-session-save --kill
>
>does not log out either.
>
>Any suggestions on
>how to reinstall gnome or to
>further isolate the problem would be
>welcome.

Had similar experiences with a Mandrake 9.1 Pro installation on an IBM
T-30.  My exit was always problematic, so I would open a terminal, su
and run the shutdown command.

The real problem was the installation was terribly flawed with failures
everywhere.  The situation improved later to the point where I could be
assured that the shutdown option would work from the menu (Gnome 2.2),
but I would still have to hit the power button at the end to stop the power.

For me FC 3 is a dream in comparison, but I suspect that parts of your
installation too may have failed.  Also check here:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to see if FC3 is listed.

See what others say about Gnome, then if that does not work try another
distribution, but remember to come back and check FC 4 when it is ready.