Tracking down eth0 issues

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Tue May 3 22:23:34 UTC 2005

I'm having a devil of a time staying connected here at work today.  I suspect
some sort of network issue in our office (I've got the only Linux box;
everything else here runs 'Doze).

What happens is this:  every few minutes, my network connection just vanishes
for no apparent reason, then comes back up immediately.  This is particularly
annoying when listening to streaming music or chatting with someone via IM or
when trying to check my e-mail.

I've tried leaving a terminal window open with "ping <gateway" continually
running, but that shows nothing.  I've looked at my system logs, but they say
nothing related to eth0 or networking issues.  I've also tried a live capture
via ethereal while the network drops and reconnects, but found nothing that I
can interpret as an error.  This is a brand new laptop with a brand new
network card, so I'm hoping desperately that it isn't that.

Where can I look to find out more about network interface troubles my computer
might be having?

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com