dual boot problems

Yuandan Zhang yzhang4 at turing.une.edu.au
Wed May 4 04:36:28 UTC 2005

hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:

>Hi,
>I bought a new compaq computer with win xp partitioned the
>drive installed fedora with grub to load. I had everything
>working then I booted windows it goes into pc recovery and
>overwrites the boot section so it only will boot windows.
>Is there a way to get this to work?  If not is there a
>way to make a boot cd to access the linux partition.
>              Thanks
>              Linda

If your winxp works ok and you have Partition Magic. You can try to
resize your winxp to 10GB (??), and move it backward  to free about
100MB in the first section of your disk, as boot sector. Then you can
re-install Fedora Core on the rest of your disk, following the
installation instruction.

Regarding the disk partition, you may want two partitions for windows,
one for operation system and applications(NTFS) and one for your data in
FAT32 which can be mounted to linux.

Good luck.

Yuandan