Athlon64 blues: [was] Re: Problem with Athlon64 machine

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed May 4 13:05:02 UTC 2005

Mauri Sahlberg wrote:

>> > I've been having problems with my Athlon64 machine
>> > (Targa with Asus motherboard) with recent kernels.
>> > I wonder if anyone else has found this?
>> >
>> > Basically, the machine hangs if left for a few minutes.
>> > I suspect it is something to do with ACPI.
>> > I've tried both the "official" Fedora kernels,
>> > and one (2.6.11.8) which I compiled with Athlon64 chosen
>> > as the processor.

> I have not been able to install FC 3 or FC 4 test 2 to Fujitsu-Siemens
> Amilo A 1630 laptop. FC 3 dies on install with "out of space errors" on
> root when there definitely is space. The synaptics touchpad is jittery
> and mouse cursor bounces all over the screen on install. FC 4 test 2
> dies in loading the installation kernel. (FC 3 mouse problem during
> install is solved with acpi=off).

I should have explained - I was the original poster -
that I was running the i386 version of FC-3 on my Athlon64 machine.
This originally worked OK,
but did not seem to work well with recent kernels.
[Someone suggested that this was due to cpufreq,
which I was running and which seems a reasonable candidate.]

However, now I have installed the x86-64 distribution,
and this seems to work beautifully.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366