Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed May 4 13:12:39 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>> Am Mi, den 04.05.2005 schrieb Paul Howarth um 2:01:
>>

>>> You can find a list of mirrors organised geographically at:
>>> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
>>>

>>> Cheers, Paul.
>>>

>> A very simple way to restrict the automatic mirror selection is to
>> slightly edit the yum repo file. An example:
>
> You and Paul seem to be missing the point; while one _can_ do this, it's
> not obvious that one can

It's not obvious that yum exists, either.  I would guess that the
inexperienced user would be hitting the flashing red !.

> nor is it obvious what the allowable values are.

I think it is pretty obvious that a 404 error isn't a mirror list.

> It _should_ be, it _could_ be easier. It is something that should be set
> on every installation, values that suit Aussies won't suit Canucks. There
> is not a good default.

Sure there is a good default.  One that works, which is what we have now.

Heck, most people that post here don't like the mirror list (out of sync
rhn-applet, different results on different runs while mirror are syncing,
etc.) and end up hard coding the mirror they want anyway.  If you have the
ability to choose a mirror to download the ISOs from, you have the ability
to set the appropriate mirror the yum and up2date configurations.

--
William Hooper