Gnome Panel crash. FC3.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed May 4 16:27:09 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:

> Upon logging in, I get errors relating to gnome-panel, and it gives me
> the option to close or restart. Either way, the problem cycles again,
> and the few buttons on the panel do not work. I can't even logout via
> c-a-d, it just hangs. I have to hit the switch which forces an
> immediate shutdown. Under Root, I CAN use Gnome, but with my regular
> login I am forced to use kde in order to work.
> This happened after a 'yum -y update'. The kernel was already the
> latest prior to the recent yum update:2.6.11-1.14. FC3.
> How do I fix this? I can ssh into this box at the moment.
> Thank you all.
> -nat

The following steps provide one way to set a user's home environment
back to defaults. In the example below, replace username with the login
id of the user you wish to reset the desktop defaults. NOTE: This will
replace all of the user settings with defaults, including setting made
in things like mozilla, bash and similar programs..

   1. Backup the users home directory.

# mv /home/username /home/username.bak

   2. Add a test user to the system.

# useradd test

   3. Move the user's home directory to the old user's home.

# mv /home/test /home/username

   4. Clean up the test account.

# userdel test

   5. Copy any files the user still needs into the new home directory.

# cp /home/username.bak/somefilename /home/username/

   6. Change the ownership of user's new directory so that the user owns
      all files in their home directory.

# chown -R username.username /home/username

   7. Test this set-up by logging into the graphics as this user.

regards
Rahul