SCSI disk problem

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Wed May 4 17:42:26 UTC 2005

Fred Nussbaum wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I try to install SuSe 9.x professional on my Intel
>SE7520JR2 motherboard and until now fail to do so. The
>motherboard has two I/O contollers: a ICH5R controller
>for two (Seagate) SATA disks and a LSI 53C1010
>controller for the two (Maxtor U320) SCSI disks. Both
>controllers claim to support RAID 1. I intend to
>install Linux on the SCSI disks and do a software
>mirroring for SuSe (and Fedora Core 3) as this (still)
>works fine since RedHat 6.2.
>The problem (I think) I face is with the SCSI disks.
>They are not found by the SuSE installer, eventhough
>the disks are seen by the BIOS and the configuration
>utility for the LSI controller. The installer 'hangs'
>after displaying 'Looking for info file ...'. The only
>thing that can be done then is a hard reset. The same
>applies to Fedora Core 3 (after loading the mptbase
>and mptscsih driver)
>What settings do I need for the BIOS and/or the LSI
>configuration utility to be able to use the disks and
>install (both) O.S.('s)?
>
>I hope someone has a positive installation experience
>with this hardware.

I've run into problems with the new U320 LSI controllers. I have a Dell
PowerEdge 1750 I tried throwing FreeBSD on, but the controller really is
a pass-through device to a back-end drive interface. In other words, the
controller shows up the same, whether it's SCSI/RAID/FC-AL/whatever.
FreeBSD tried initializing the controller as a RAID device, even though
we don't have the RAID daughter card. I got pretty much the same errors
that you're seeing, with the controller barfing and the kernel panicing
after a few minutes of probing.

After lots of head-banging, I did manage to get FreeBSD to boot, but
only after I popped out all the drives except the first one. In the end,
I ended up throwing Fedora Core 2 on it, which works fine. I guess my
suggestion is to make sure you're using the v2.6 kernel, and to try
tweaking your SCSI settings in the kernel. You might try Fedora or
another distro if you can't get SuSE working.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/