Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Wed May 4 19:20:05 UTC 2005

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

>On Wed, 4 May 2005 14:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
>"William Hooper" <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>Ouch - that is very cache-unfriendly.
>>>

>>It is much, much more mirror friendly, though.
>>
>Is there any way to easily configure *which* mirrors get looked at?  I
>notice that seemingly every other yum run I end up accessing an overseas
>mirror at a very slow connection speed.  It'd probably be better if my
>US-based machines tried to access US-based mirrors rather than European
>ones.
>
>Or would it be best to just (in the ,repo files) choose a close mirror as
>"baseurl" and comment out "mirrorlist" entirely?

Looking at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/ there are
a number of options to pick from.  Editing /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
and adding .us.east to the end of both yum-mirror lines would force
up2date to only use mirrors on the US East Coast.  Looks like there's
indiv lists for other countries to.  Of course, you could just pick a
mirror you prefer, comment out the yum-mirror and yum lines and add one
directly to your preferred mirror.

Jay

--
Jay Lee