Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 22:15:40 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:
> Jay Lee wrote:
>
>>wgetting
>>http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3
>>shows a list of possible mirrors and I assume yum randomly selects one to
>>use each time (resulting in each request behind a proxy hitting a
>>different mirror).  What would be ideal is if that url was dynamic and
>>returned a single mirror url for yum to use.
>

> You would loose the ability to fail over to another mirror if something
> was wrong with that one URL.  A

I don't care. My experience with Debian's setup suggest that, while this
happens, it's rare.

It could reduce the load on FRC - yum could continue to use the one it
has until it does break.

I actually don't think Red Hat can do this; it can't know which Western
Australians should ose WAIX and which should not. Potentially, that
answer can change from one day to the next.

In contrast, FRC doesn't even publish a current list of Australian
mirrors Australians might consider.

--

Cheers
John