Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 22:32:43 UTC 2005

William Hooper wrote:

> It's not obvious that yum exists, either.  I would guess that the
> inexperienced user would be hitting the flashing red !.

Likely.
I then tried up2date commandline (acually, I know about that). I don't
recall now my objections to that.

>>nor is it obvious what the allowable values are.
>

> I think it is pretty obvious that a 404 error isn't a mirror list.

That's one way of cataloguing a large number of wrong values.

>>It _should_ be, it _could_ be easier. It is something that should be set
>>on every installation, values that suit Aussies won't suit Canucks. There
>>is not a good default.
>

> Sure there is a good default.  One that works, which is what we have now.

hey, my Navara (Pathfinder to yanks) only fires on two cilinders, what's
the problem?

It can do better,

A default selection based on time zone would work for many people. I
select "Australia/Perth" and that self-same selection should give me
WAIX-connected mirrors plus Optus and Telstra to choose from. Or for yum
to roll around.

> Heck, most people that post here don't like the mirror list (out of sync
> rhn-applet, different results on different runs while mirror are syncing,
> etc.) and end up hard coding the mirror they want anyway.  If you have the
> ability to choose a mirror to download the ISOs from, you have the ability
> to set the appropriate mirror the yum and up2date configurations.

"most people here" not "most users" nor "prospective users." I wish to
see a soln that works for those. Myself, I can defeat most difficulties
and have been doing so for years. Check my name at googlism.com - those
mentioning OS/2 are me. Have some fun with your own name while youre at it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait