Linux vmlinuz images

Denham Eva EVAD at TFMC.co.za
Fri May 6 07:56:49 UTC 2005

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. As it so happens my machine has
hyperthreading.

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Paul Howarth
Sent: 06 May 2005 09:41 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Linux vmlinuz images

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 08:11 +0200, Denham Eva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have done what I would call a standard install of FC3, the only real

> mentionable change has been an increase in memory from 512 to 1GB.
> My question is this when GRUB starts up and I press enter key for boot

> choices. I have discovered two linuz images registered;
> vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp and vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667.
> I have tried booting with both and have not found nor noticed any real

> difference.
>
> Can anyone clarify what the difference is and where I can find
> documentation on this?

The "smp" kernel is installed on systems with multiple CPUs. Some recent
CPUs with hyperthreading are treated as multiple CPUs and will get the
smp kernel installed. Whether or not the smp kernel will result in
better performance for you probably depends on the types of applications
you are using your system for. Try out both kernels for a while and see
if you notice one being faster than the other.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>