BTTV/BT878 Woes - The wicked Dragon rears it's Head again

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Fri May 6 21:37:37 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, kwhiskers <kwhiskers at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the info. I will check when I get home.
> >
> > I am wondering about v4l2: is it in the kernel, like v4l, or how do I
> > implement it? I am definitely using v4l, not 2. I have put an entry into the
> > xorg.conf to load the v4l module. Is this how I would load v4l2?
> > Anything else I need to do?
> >
> > Is v4l2 preferred? I see very little mention of it and it appears,
> > looking at the bytesex site, to be somewhat a deviant or dead development
> > line, or am I mistaken?
> >
> > kwhiskers

> > > I have a TV Tuner card that runs using the BTTV module and TVTime
> > > works.
> > > My lsmod looks like:
> > >
> > > $ /sbin/lsmod | grep bttv
> > > bttv 158353 1 bt878
> > > video_buf 23621 1 bttv
> > > i2c_algo_bit 9033 1 bttv
> > > v4l2_common 5825 1 bttv
> > > btcx_risc 4937 1 bttv
> > > tveeprom 13017 1 bttv
> > > videodev 9665 1 bttv
> > > i2c_core 21953 5 tuner,bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_viapro
> > >
> > > My modprobe.conf is:
> > >
> > > alias char-major-81 bttv
> > >
> > > Output from lspci:
> > >
> > > 00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
> > > Capture (rev 11)
> > > 00:09.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
> > > Capture
> > > (rev 11)
> > >
> > > dmesg:
> > >
> > > Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> > > bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
> > > bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
> > > bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
> > > ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:09.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
> > > bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:09.0, irq: 11, latency: 64, mmio:
> > > 0xdfe00000
> > > bttv0: detected: Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 [card=34], PCI subsystem ID
> > > is
> > > 107d:6606
> > > bttv0: using: Leadtek WinFast 2000/ WinFast 2000 XP
> > > [card=34,autodetected]
> > > bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00bff706 [init]
> > > bttv0: using tuner=5
> > > bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
> > > bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
> > > bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
> > > bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
> > > tuner: chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus bt878 #0 [sw]
> > > tuner: type set to 5 (Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and compatibles)) by
> > > bt878
> > > #0 [sw]
> > > bttv0: registered device video0
> > > bttv0: registered device vbi0
> > > bttv0: registered device radio0
> > > bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 .. ok
> > > bttv0: add subdevice "remote0"
> > > bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
> > > bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
> > > ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:09.1[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
> > > bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 00: 09.1, irq: 11, latency: 64, memory:
> > > 0xdff00000

> [...]

My lspci and lsmod are identical to yours. I got tvtime working, too. It's
just the kmplayer/kplayer/mplayer/xine/videolanclient problem with playing
the tv feeds, as indicated in the documentation with tv://channelnumber.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to record what I am watching,
like say... a videocassette sometimes. kmplayer has recording capabilities,
using mplayer, I believe, but I have only ever gotten this to work with
recording an mpg file (not very useful, since I already have the mpg file),
and never TV. It worked with xawtv, but unfortunately, it created 2 files,
one for video and one for audio, which was rather silly. How are you suposed
to play that back? There is a program under windoze to reunite them
(flaskmpg, bbpmpg and another one), but I don't wnat to resort to that. I
want to use Linux tools.

I realize that there are some pvr applications, like mythtv, but they are
overkill for what I want to do, I think. I rarely tape anything from tv, but
just want to make clips from videos, cds, live streams from the web, etc
mostly.

In fact, I did try to get mythtv recently, but ran up against the same
problem with the repo timing out or no further repos to try. This problem
has existed with dag and atrpms for a number of months now. I could just
download the components manually, but mythtv's dependencies are a nightmare
to manage by hand. Again, this seems overkill for what I need.