configuring remote printer

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri May 6 22:35:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 04:40:24PM -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> How do I configure a remote printer using CUPS.
> On another machine running RH9 with CUPS,
> it has the device URI socket://fred.greg.hank.ivan.edu:9100/
>
> --
It is pretty simple. Use system-config-printer
enter the printers name.
Choose LPD printing, which is really cups-lpd printing.
The server is the name of your RH9 machine,
The spool name is the name of the spool file on your RH9 machine.
The printer type depends on what kind of printer you have. Since you
are using port 9100 I assume it is a HP printer with jet-direct.
The best choice is to choose postscript as your printer (assuming it
is a postscript printer) not the actual manufacturer and printer
model. Apply this and you should be all set.

If it is not a postscript printer things are a little  more complicated . If
that is the fact ask a further question.

If one inquires why the American tradition is so strong against any
connection of State and Church, why it dreads even the rudiments of
religious teaching in state-maintained schools, the immediate and
superficial answer is not far to seek....
The cause lay largely in the diversity and vitality of the various
denominations, each fairly sure that, with a fair field and no favor,
it could make its own way; and each animated by a jealous fear that,
if any connection of State and Church were permitted, some rival
denomination would get an unfair advantage.
- John Dewey (1859-1953), American philosopher,
  from "Democracy in the Schools", 1908
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University