Sound

Mostafa Z. Afgani mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de
Sat May 7 14:04:41 UTC 2005

cas wrote:
> Hi all. I can not get my sound system to work properly. Many programs
> have delayed or sketchy sound and a few come up with 'cannot open audio'
> messages. I think it is something to do with the sound servers as the
> cards is detected ok and the test sound plays fine.
>
> Can anyone give me some advice as how to check this?

create a file .asoundrc under your home directory. The contents of the
file should be as follows:

pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm "dmixer"
    }

    pcm.dmixer  {
	type dmix
	ipc_key 1024
	slave {
	    pcm "hw:0,0"
	    period_time 0
	    period_size 1024
	    buffer_size 4096
	    rate 48000
	}
	bindings {
	    0 0
	    1 1
	}
    }

    ctl.dmixer {
	type hw
	card 0
    }

You might have to change the hw:0,0 line to reflect your setup, but it
should work as is. I myself got the idea from the ALSA docs:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?company=Generic&card=Generic&chip=Generic&module=Generic

-M