USB WiFi

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat May 7 15:39:09 UTC 2005

Is anyone using USB WiFi devices with Fedora?
I have a Lucent/Orinoco USB Gold Client,

I have been looking at the
"Linux driver for Lucent/Agere ORiNOCO USB devices"
by Øystein Olsen at <http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/orinoco-usb/>,
and have downloaded the Fedora-3 RPM.

Unfortunately, I find some of the instructions rather confusing.

(1) It says that
"The orinoco-usb driver is for now only available from cvs".
But I can't find an orinoco-usb CVS.
Does this mean the orinoco CVS?

In any case, since there is an orinoco-usb rpm.
I assume there must be a separate CVS for this application.
Is this a misunderstanding?
Or if not, where is the orinoco-usb CVS?

(2) It says in the introudction
In <http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/orinoco-usb/index.html>
"The orinoco-usb driver is for now only available from cvs.
 I put together this page to simplify
the building and installation of the driver.
The driver and script to build the driver,
are all available from the RPMS directory."

I don't understand this;
if the driver is only available from cvs
then what is the RPM?

(3) Later on the same page, it says

"April 2005
Thanks to a tip from Martin Visser, the firmware package is no longer
necessary. The firmware is hard-coded into the driver instead. In short if
you use a driver which is newer that April 4th 2005 or if you use
build-source.sh, you can safely ignore all instructions related to the
firmware and hotplug."

But where exactly does one find a driver newer than April 4th 2005?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366