Gigabit Ethernet Woes

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Sat May 7 15:58:21 UTC 2005

> 6M/s seems a little slow for 100MB - mine used to max out at 10M.
> Under  GB I don't get much more, say 18M/s or so?  That is with scp,
> and scp uses encryption which takes time.  Granted, I wouldn't expect
> your speed to drop under GB, but is one of your PCs slower than the
> other?
>
> You could try something other than scp.  NFS, which is poor, gets me
> 25M/s, and http gets me 50M/s.
>
> In short, you could be being held back by lack of CPU or disk speed,
> not the network.

I definitely have something going if you're getting those speeds. The
two FC3 machines are Athlon 1400+ (1Ghz), one has 512 RAM and the other
has a Gig of RAM. The Windows XP machine is a Celeron D 2.6 Ghz with 512
RAM. All have 7200 RPM IDE ATA/133 drives.

Maybe I'll try hooking a crossover cable between the NICs and see what
kind of speeds I achieve that way. I'll post when I get some results.

Thanks,
James