Playing DVDs using totem?

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sat May 7 16:35:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 18:15, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Meanwhile, I'm still inclined to conclude that Ogle is still the player
> closest to Just Working, but unfortunately, it seems like there are too
> few developers involved in the project. Maybe I'll start a flame war by
> saying this, but I generally think that it would be a lot more
> productive if the people behind some of the video players would stop
> developing their own software, and start contributing to other
> applications instead. There has probably been far too much duplicate
> work in this area.

I can understand why you feel like this. There is however a different goal for
each developer and each project.
Most players don't only focus on DVD, but also other formats, so it takes up a
lot of time for the developers to also support the other things.

I use xine only for my home cinema and don't use the UI, but control
everything by remote control. This is the reason why I never really cared
much about the UI, but more about functionality.

On my desktop PC I use kaffeine and xine-ui both and must say that kaffeine
suits the desktop better than xine-ui.

Regards,
Marcel