Playing DVDs using totem?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sat May 7 16:51:54 UTC 2005

Marcel Janssen wrote:

>On Saturday 07 May 2005 18:15, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>Meanwhile, I'm still inclined to conclude that Ogle is still the player
>>closest to Just Working, but unfortunately, it seems like there are too
>>few developers involved in the project. Maybe I'll start a flame war by
>>saying this, but I generally think that it would be a lot more
>>productive if the people behind some of the video players would stop
>>developing their own software, and start contributing to other
>>applications instead. There has probably been far too much duplicate
>>work in this area.
>>

>I can understand why you feel like this. There is however a different goal for
>each developer and each project.
>Most players don't only focus on DVD, but also other formats, so it takes up a
>lot of time for the developers to also support the other things.

True, but it may also seem like there are too many alternative
implementations of those other things, if you know what I mean.

>I use xine only for my home cinema and don't use the UI, but control
>everything by remote control. This is the reason why I never really cared
>much about the UI, but more about functionality.

Quite.

But speaking of remote controls, I prefer to use my cordless keyboard as
a "remote control" when playing DVDs via the PC, so I really want to be
able to do everything, including navigating through the DVD menus using
the keyboard. Unfortunately, to the extent that the players support DVD
menus (actually, it seems like most do today, while they typically
didn't when I started testing this), most of them do so only via mouse
input only. That includes Xine, I think, but it may be that I just
haven't found the right keys, and I haven't really dived into the whole
keybinding setup affair. Comments?