Alias issues in Apache 2.0

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sat May 7 18:38:02 UTC 2005

I'm missing something fundamental in how Apache works, I think.

In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf, I have the following Alias declaration:

Alias /icons/ "/var/www/icons/"

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from All
</Directory>

Alias /pictures/ "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures/"

<Directory "/var/shared/shared_files/Pictures">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from All
</Directory>

Now, the permissions on the two directories, /var/www/icons/
and /var/shared/shared_files/Pictures are identical.  When I browse to
http://server/icons/, the files in that directory display as expected.
However, when I browse to http://server/pictures/, I get a 403-Forbidden
error.  I've messed with file permissions and with the access elements of the
Alias directive, but the permissions on the two directories are identical.
I've looked through the documentation of the Alias module at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_alias.html, but I can't find
anything that I'm missing.

I have other aliases -- notably, webmail -- which point to other directories
outside of the server document root, so that can't be it.

Any ideas, anyone?  This is driving me batty.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com