Playing DVDs using totem?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun May 8 13:22:25 UTC 2005

Vinicius wrote:

> Antonio Olivares escreveu:
>
>> -

>>> anyone actually using

[ ... ]

>>> Anyhow, Totem or any other media player installed
>>> with Fedora Core certainly won't play DVDs out-of-the box.
>>> Apparently, Fedora/Red Hat dare not distribute the somewhat
>>> controversial code
>>> needed to do the job along with the OS...
>>

>> Disregard this part.  Fedora will go with open
>> standards and the controversial code.  Go and snatch
>> the needed downloads to get the applications and
>> codecs that you want for it to play.

Ah... But what I was trying to say was that I already did that; I've
installed every gstreamer plugin I could think of, and also tried
different combinations of totem and gstreamer/plugins (the sites that
provide the gstreamer stuff also have their own version of totem.) All
I've achieved by that is to change totem's behaviour from merely
reporting that it won't support DVDs, to crashing in spectacular ways...

What versions exactly are you using of the different packages?

Now, I also tried the Xine-backend version of Totem, and that actually
seemed to work. One problem, though, and I actually see this as a
somewhat serious obstacle: I can't use the keyboard to navigate the DVD
menus. Does this work for you (and is it supposed to)?

> I can play non-encrypted DVD's with no problem.

Right... Maybe we're at the core of the problem, here. How shall I put
this? - We'll, maybe I'll just say that I don't think I agree that it
"works great" it it only handles unencrypted DVDs. I want a player that
will play *all* DVDs, and when people say that some video player
application or the other can play DVDs just fine, I automatically assume
that they area also talking about encrypted ones. I may well have tested
with some of those;  I really didn't care to check, but they are ones
that I've played successfully with Ogle in the past...

- Toralf