USB WiFi

lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 18:45:34 UTC 2005

> Billy Tallis wrote:
>

>> Is anyone using USB WiFi devices with Fedora?
> >> I have a Lucent/Orinoco USB Gold Client,
> >>
> >> I have been looking at the
> >> "Linux driver for Lucent/Agere ORiNOCO USB
devices"
<http://folk.uio.no/oeysteio/orinoco-usb/>,
> >> and have downloaded the Fedora-3 RPM.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I find some of the instructions
rather confusing.

> >> (1) It says that
> >> "The orinoco-usb driver is for now only available
from cvs".
> >> But I can't find an orinoco-usb CVS.
> >> Does this mean the orinoco CVS?
> >>
> >> In any case, since there is an orinoco-usb rpm.
> >> I assume there must be a separate CVS for this
application.
> >> Is this a misunderstanding?
> >> Or if not, where is the orinoco-usb CVS?
> >
> > Just follow the links to the savanna nongnu page
and click on CVS.
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=orinoco

> OK, I got the CVS code, compiled it (with
linux-2.6.11) and installed it.
> There was no problem in that.
> I noticed that orinoco_usb.c was not compiled with
the given Makefile,
> which contains the lines

I use WiFi all of the time and all over the USA using
Ndiswrapper. I've re-written the instructions for FC3
and posted them on LinuxQuestion.org
(I agree with you that programmers and IT people don't
even know how to communicate with normal people. They
have their own way of talking and thinking.)

It's a log post and I don't have what I've written in
front of me. But you can go to linuxquestions.org and
search for information on "ndiswrapper".

Using the Linuxant driver or Ndiswrapper are the only
ways that I have ever gotten WiFi cards to work. You
also need the Fedora/Redhat kernels from Linuxant.
Using either of these drivers, I have used several
WiFi cards.

The Linuxant driver costs about $20. "Ndiswarpper" is
free. The Linuxant kernels are also free.