Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun May 8 20:07:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 11:05 -0700, lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com wrote:

> But the warranty is the kicker. I've dropped my laptop
> pushing a PCMCIA card right through the Motherboard
> which was replaced. I've had the mounting hardware
> holding the screen replaced. And I've had the BIOS
> battery replaced. All at no cost to me because of that
> warranty. I travel all over the country and it doesn't
> matter where I am, the warranty has covered the
> computer.
>
> That is why you go with major brands...

I have always liked IBM laptops - thinkpads.
They have three mouse buttons.

I do not know how well current models work with Linux, and they soon
will be built by someone other than IBM.

My T20 (an older model) works in FC Rawhide with a few issues, sound
doesn't work (it does in FC3) at the moment, and virtual consoles don't
work if running X11, etc. - hopefully those issues get wrinkled out
before FC4. A current IBM laptop though I believe uses different video
and different sound chipset (I'm not positive) - I have no idea how well
T42 does or does not work with Linux - but I do like the fact that it
has three mouse buttons on the laptop, no one else seems to offer that -
I don't know why.

I *believe* built in wireless on current ibm models requires
ndiswrapper, I *think* they use broadcom chipset.