Worm problem

Scott Pearson pearsonscott2 at qwest.net
Sun May 8 21:12:29 UTC 2005

A lot of worms read through the address book (usually Outlook or Outlook
Express address book) and then mass-mail advertisements to those people
listed in the address book.  They also will take these addresses and put
them into the reply to and from fields of the emails they send out.

What this means is that somebody, most likely on a Windows machine, had
your email address in their address book (if you have posted anywhere on
the net and someone sent you a reply, most email programs will then
store your address on their PC when they replied to you), got their
machine infected, and you are now getting not only the emails, but the
bounced emails because the worm on their machine puts in your addy in
the reply to and/or from field and the servers send it to the address in
those fields.

Quite a few spammers also stick the person's email addy in the from and
reply to fields also in an attempt to get by spam filters.

It is an annoyance.