Fedora Dispute

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:37:53 UTC 2005

> d Red Hat gain by jacking with the Cornell/UVA project? There is no
> competition, they are in different areas of technology.
>
> Thomas
>
> >> Red Hat is now trying to do the right thing - enforce what they have
> the authority to go after. The fact that they are in differrent areas of
> technology makes no differrence legally. There isn't a legal distinction of,
> 'oh wait...this is a browser and this is an OS so everything's allright'. We
> tech people think that way. But the judges and looyahs don't see it that
> way.

See http://www.nissan.com/ From what I understand, the car company sued
someone who had already bought the URL and had a company with Nissan in the
name. So basically what this says, is, if a big company wants your domain,
it's theirs (got a million dollars to fight it?)...

I would assert that RH is probably just concerned about other corporate
dirty tricks. IOW, if they DIDNT go after this 'situation' (potential
infringement or whatever), then the waters of proprietary-vs-OSS, would
continue to get muddier and muddier, very intentionally on the part of
various companies/partners/cohorts. I could see such events unfold and it
isn't pretty. Let's hope that the law gets upheld; that would be a great
place to start.

Marc