MP3 Split Program for Linux?

micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Mon May 9 05:00:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 23:11 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> All right--can you tell me how to split a big MP3 file into two
> smaller
> files, each of which I could then convert to WAVeform and then burn
> onto
> a CD?
>
> Temlakos

Probably the easiest way is through an audio editor. One is audacity,
which is great, and is located in extras? I think.

Another one I have been playing with is Marlin.  This is available from
freedesktop.org as part of their gstreamer suite.

In both, its just a simple as selecting what you want to split. Edit,
Copy and paste in a new file.

There is also the mp3split program http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/.  I
have no direct experience with this program so be careful.

If you want to play from the CLI, I think I remember doing it with lame
somehow, someway, but I cant remember exactly at the moment.

As far a decoding back to WAV, most CD burning apps will do that for
you, including K3B. If you want to keep a copy of the wav, or just
decode both Audacity and Marlin support this. In Audacity, just export
to WAV. In Marlin, just save as a file with a .wav extension.

Keep in mind however, that mp3 is lossy and den-coding will not gain any
quality back.

Hope this helps.

MC