VMWARE: access host (linux) files from guest (winxp)

kwhiskers kwhiskers at gmail.com
Mon May 9 06:40:44 UTC 2005

On 5/8/05, Yuandan Zhang <yzhang4 at turing.une.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Vmware-workstation 4.5.2 on linux host (FC3) and a WinXp as
> guest. I set up a host-only samba for accessing host files from guest.
> After start up the vmware and the winxp guest, I couldn't find where to
> find the host file on winxp. I am sure the the smb server on vmnet1 is
> started. could someopne send a example smb.conf and show me how to
> broswer the host files?
>
> Regards,
>
> Yuandan
>
> --

I am using NAT with the samba that comes with vmware (they use their own
version, not the one that comes with Linux). I imagine that host-only should
be about the same, except that I presume you won't have access to the
Internet from the guest.

If I understand you correctly, all you need to do is to click on virtual
machine settings, there on the options tab, select shared folders (ie,
directories), and then just add the directories you want the guest to be
able to access, giving them a name they will have under Windows and the path
that they have on your Linux filesystem. Under Windows, they will be seen
under My Computer/ Shared Folders, or somewhere like that. I am sure you
will find them.

Is this what you wanted to know?