K3b will not work directly with MP3 files

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:27:46 UTC 2005

micheal wrote:

> As far a decoding back to WAV, most CD burning apps will do that for
> you, including K3B. If you want to keep a copy of the wav, or just
> decode both Audacity and Marlin support this. In Audacity, just export
> to WAV. In Marlin, just save as a file with a .wav extension.
>
> Keep in mind however, that mp3 is lossy and den-coding will not gain any
> quality back.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> MC

It does help. But in fact k3b will /not/ work with mp3 files. It will
say, "Unable to add to this project because of unsupported format" or
words to that effect. That's why I always have to run it through mpg321
to get a wav file before I can even add it to the project.

If k3b has a command to convert mp3 to wav, I haven't found it--and,
being a GNOME user, I can't access k3b's Help system. Which command
would that be?

I anticipate purchasing some mp3 downloads soon. Unfortunately, they
might run to ninety minutes, and that's more than any CD can hold. If I
can split them down the middle, that solves that problem.

Temlakos