AMD-64 and PCI-Express?

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Mon May 9 13:21:42 UTC 2005

Mark Fuller wrote:
> I want to switch to AMD 64bit when Fedora Core 4 is released. I notice Asus
> has some new motherboards supporting "PCI Express" on both Nvidia Nforce and
> VIA K8T890 chipsets. And, something called "SLI" on the Nvidia Nforce
> chipset. (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, A8N-SLI, and A8V-E Deluxe)
>
> Does anyone know how Fedora Core 4 (or earlier) supports these newer
> motherboards and graphic cards? Will I be ok buying into new technology like
> this? Or, am I safer with the older VIA K8T800Pro which supports AGP (Asus
> A8V Deluxe)?
>
> I searched the archives for some of these terms and couldn't find anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I believe you'll be just fine.  I've several users here at work using
PCI-Express graphics cards with no problems.

Additionally, the SLI moniker denotes the fact that there are two
PCI-Express video slots on the motherboard, allowing you to use two SLI
(scan-line interleave) capable nVidia videocards in parallel, roughly
doubling your potential video performance.

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com