MP3 Split Program for Linux?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 9 16:57:17 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:
> micheal wrote:
>

> But, as pointed out earlier, it does not support mp3 outta the box (like
> the Windows version), and not everyone wants to dl the sources and
> rebuild. Isn't there some add-on pkg that automatically makes Audacity
> work like the Windows version?
> Thanks
> -nat

Audacity requires lame to do mp3's.

It is easy if you have the correct repositories in your yum conf file.
    Fedora/Red Hat is just playing it safe in the cases of legal
action.  With mp3 being added by the user instead of RedHat, they
don't have to worry about being sued.  I feel it also protects the
user better.

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/linux/usr/HOWTO/Fedora-Multimedia-Installation-HOWTO.html

Microsoft has very deep pockets for licence fees as all the users pay
the fees when they purchase the software.

--
Robin Laing