FC3 + raw devices

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon May 9 17:03:30 UTC 2005

T. Horsnell wrote:
> What's the situation with 'raw' and FC3?
> I want to get raw access to disks for test
> purposes but 'man raw' and 'whereis raw'
> show nothing.

Same as for the rest of Linux: you can access a raw partition as
/dev/hdXY or /dev/sdXY (depending on technology), where X is a letter
and Y a number. So the first partition of your first IDE disk is
/dev/hda1.

To refer to the whole disk, use /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX.

Please note: get this wrong and you could delete your whole system. Be
careful. Use backups or a separate test system.

Now the real question: what exactly are you trying to do, and why?
If you just want to see how fast your hard disk goes, try
hdparm -t /dev/hda
(or whatever).

If you want to use raw copying, use dd (and be careful).

Have I mentioned that you need to be careful?

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Whenever [Richard I] returned to England he always
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | set out again immediately for the Mediterranean and