Broadcasting on port 31337?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Mon May 9 21:27:48 UTC 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 16:14, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Our IT guy tells me that my Linux laptop is broadcasting on port
> 31337.  And while I don't trust his competence, I am concerned
> about this.  I've looked around and it looks like 31337 is used
> by Back Orifice which, as far as I know, is a Windows beast.
>
> I've added an IPTABLES rule to block outbound traffic to that
> port from my computer but I still need to figure out what's going
> on.  Anyone have any ideas?

Broadcasting what?

Run tcpdump/windump or a similar packet capture utility on your lan
to capture the data.  Just because you have a PC, Linux or Win,
that uses a particular ephemeral port for outgoing connections is
not an indication of something wrong.  Normally a PC will increment
it's port usage and wrap around at port 65535 and begin again so
it's going to run past all ephemeral ports eventually.

Regards, Mike Klinke