OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue May 10 01:31:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:10:18PM -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why? I've read
> some reviews about it and a few snippets here and there of users
> opinions on it, but I still don't get it.
>
> Short of installing Ubuntu myself, can anyone give me a quick run down
> on why Ubuntu is apparently rising like a rocket?  Any big differences
> between Ubuntu and Fedora, besides the fact that Ubuntu is based on
> bleeding-edge Debian?

it's small, comes on one CD, it's easyto isntall. It comes with a
Gnome desktop that's completely clean of icons (for some this is,
apparently, a feature, though I tend to fail to see the value).
Lots of things "just work", apparently.

I have little exposure to it, except htat I installed it on an old
P3/450 here to use with my scsi scanner. Except for permissions on
the scsi device changing with every boot (since resolved) it does
"just work" for that purpose.

> Also, how does one pronounce the name?  You-bun-too?  Ooo-bun-too?

According to their web site, it's prounounced: "Oo-Boon-Too"