OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:49:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 22:24, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > Their was a similar fanfare with Knoppix - which was likely deserved,
> > it's a great 1 CD distro, and there was a similar fanfare over gentoo -
> > which is interesting but imho only suitable if you run a desktop and
> > have time, and there was a similar fanfare over the now defunct Rock
> > Linux.
>
> I resent that. Time may be something that you need a lot of in the
> beginning but when it's all set up, it's all a breeze.

The thing I never quite understood about gentoo is - how do you diagnose
a problem?  If your compiled binaries are different than everyone
else's, how do you know if a problem is unique to your system or not?
And if they aren't different, why spend all that time compiling your
own copy?

> Besides, I went the Gentoo Path because it's education value is second
> to none. (1st would be LFS - Linux From Scratch)

'Education' sometimes means learning stupid quirks that aren't
useful in any general sense.  If you learn things that also apply
to other distributions, you could learn them there too.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com