OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed May 11 02:24:58 UTC 2005

On Tue May 10 2005 9:37 am, John Summerfied wrote:
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > There's a lot of talk around the Linux camp about Ubuntu: why?
>
> While I'm using FC3 atm, I'm happy to recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu over
> FC to newcomers.
>
> It's easy to install, ............snip
>
> Sort of against it are
> 1. One install CD.
> 2. Everything else is  download.
> 3. Only the software  on the install CD is formally supported.

You guys got me curious, so I installed it today
One BIG caveat - it installs with no firewall, and there is no readily
available one to configure should you need it, unless I missed it somehow - I
did find a reference to the fact that they do this purposefully, but with a
pretty cryptic explanation as to why - since the machine I was testing on is
right on the net, this was a bit disconcerting...the system GUI to configure
basic protection was not there - I tried downloading and installing
Firestarter, but couldn't get it going - FWBuilder wasn't available as a
regular package - Shorewall was, but, time ran out and I gave up. I did like
the way some things worked right out of the installation, such as Samba,
but...

Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA