OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed May 11 04:09:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 09:49 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 22:24, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> > > Their was a similar fanfare with Knoppix - which was likely deserved,
> > > it's a great 1 CD distro, and there was a similar fanfare over gentoo -
> > > which is interesting but imho only suitable if you run a desktop and
> > > have time, and there was a similar fanfare over the now defunct Rock
> > > Linux.
> >
> > I resent that. Time may be something that you need a lot of in the
> > beginning but when it's all set up, it's all a breeze.
>
> The thing I never quite understood about gentoo is - how do you diagnose
> a problem?  If your compiled binaries are different than everyone
> else's, how do you know if a problem is unique to your system or not?

That's why we have emerge --info and USE Flags.

> And if they aren't different, why spend all that time compiling your
> own copy?

Well, I don't see that as a problem since I can be up-to-date and still
use my Laptop as normal. No impact on performance etc.

> > Besides, I went the Gentoo Path because it's education value is second
> > to none. (1st would be LFS - Linux From Scratch)
>
> 'Education' sometimes means learning stupid quirks that aren't
> useful in any general sense.  If you learn things that also appluy
> to other distributions, you could learn them there too.

Nope... the thing here we talk about is education in getting to know the
intimacy of the text configuration files. There's not tool/gui for you
to help you configure xorg.

it's done by hand. Text Mode.

All configs are the same regardless of distros.

When LSB comes into affect for all distros, it'll make things even
simpler.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz