OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 11 08:02:38 UTC 2005

Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> On 5/9/05, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com> wrote:

> development work, you probably don't want your platform changing all
> the time.  Ubuntu concentrates on i386 systems, which allows them to

IA32, AMD-64 and PPC. A while ago someone was muttering about Suns too.

> update more quickly.  Debian doesn't stablize until all platforms that
> it supports are working.
that will change post-Sarge,

 > Debian's biggest fault was their installer,
> which I think is no longer an issue.  The Woody installer was
> unuseable.  But, the new Sarge is very good, especially the
> netinst/businesscard CD.  I think Ubuntu has its own installer.  Yum
> comes close, but apt and the rich Debian repositories is worth the
> switch.

Ubuntu uses the new Debian installer. Even though Debian hasn't a
release version yet.

I unstalled Kubuntu for a quick look the other day. It asked me more Qs
than I expected (I installed Hoary quite a few times before its release).

When I last installed Hoary (the immediate past release), my
prism54-based wireless card came up working. Configuring it required a
touch of vim - the GUI didn't cope with all the wireless bits.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait