OT: What's the deal with Ubuntu?

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 11 14:29:24 UTC 2005

Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:53:25 +0800
> John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> [Ubuntu / Printers vs. Fedora Core]
>

>>Plug in a USB printer, I would expect (as on FC) a GUI to pop up. On FC
>>I configure network printers with CUPS - the RH tool does not work
>>satsifactorily. You should see how a RH-configured CUPS printer appears
>>to my Mac:-((
>

> I'd expect USB pritner setup to go smoothly.  For my work setup, though, I
> need to set up three print queues: a USB printer, a SMB printer, and a
> parallel printer.  It's the SMB printer I'm worried about.  Haven't had
> time to take the Ubuntu test machine to that environment yet, though.

It's some years since I set up a Samba, but back then all that was
needed was to tell it to import all the LPD printers. I expect that it
will be much the same now, but I don't have a need to try it (no more OS/2).

> Since none of my machines are print servers, I haven't had a chance to see
> how the Fedora tool mangles that. :)
>
> Detup of the three print quesues on my laptop with Fedora Core 3 was
> pretty easy.  The only real difficulty I ran into was with the USB
> printer (Samsung ML-1410 if I remember the model number right)  The
> automatically-generated print queue defaults to the wrong page size,
> and I didn't see an easy way to change that - except manually set up a
> print queue for the Samsung printer.

I set up a FC3 printer on my laptop by plugging an Epson Stylus C65 into
it. A gui popped up and I chose C64 (it might even have been offered)
and that was that. Just once, the Mac can second. It didn't know about
the C65 and wouldn't let me choose another:-(

However, the print definition that Red Hat's tool set up has a comment
field - "create by the witch from hell" or similar and that's how OS X
presents it in its menu. Not good.

Normally I use the CUPS web interface for defining printers' that's
fairly simple (if you have the PPDs) but I find the need to customise it
afterwards - why are printers always configured for "letter" paper which
hardly anyone uses?

Yesterday, I created a CUPS printer from the commandline. i think these
are the relevant commands:

sudo lpadmin -p blueroom -v ipp://ns.demo.lan/printers/blueroom
sudo lpadmin -p blueroom -E

There are more options, and I'm sure the web admin tool is just a
wrapper for such commands.

--

Cheers
John