Problems; Anyone using Via VT6122 Gigabit NIC in FC3?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu May 12 11:50:19 UTC 2005

I've been struggling with this for a couple weeks now. At first I
thought it was just performance issues, but it got much worse than that.
I have two FC3 machines and one XP machine with this card.

My first FC3 machine started acting unstable right away. Constant
lockups after being a stable machine for as long as I can remember. The
2nd FC3 machine seemed ok at first, but then it crashed hard with bus
errors. At first I thought the hard drive crashed coincidentally, but
upon further investigation the NIC appears to be causing the problems.
My XP machine has shown no indications of foul play, other than the
typical stuff of course, ;-).

The first problem I found with the NIC is that it's physically difficult
to install. I was testing it on a different machine and the connectors
were not making a good connection and I couldn't even boot the machine.
The end bracket is to far away from the circuit board. So I fiddled a
little with the it and was able to get the bracket to give a little more
space. Then I was able to install the card. I installed ubuntu on the
machine and it found the card and seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately this is not real good evidence, since FC3 will work fine
for a while too. Although I can make a certain symptom show up on
demand. I put the card back into my FC3 Myth machine and configured it
to be the primary card, and then unactiviated the onboard 10/100 NIC in
FC3. If I try to watch a recorded show from a remote frontend the show
plays for a minute or two and then bombs with the error:
WriteBlock(): Aborting WriteBlock, write to socket failed!

If I unactivate the Via card and re-activate the onboard 10/100 then
everything works fine again. I could try switching PCI slots, but I only
have three slots and my PVR350 and PVR250 are each taking one. I'm
skeptical whether that would help unless someone thinks that it really
could.

I'm running these kernels on the FC3 machine:
2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at	(less stable, lockups)
2.6.10-1.737_FC3	(Myth machine, seems slightly more stable)

Does this tell me it's a driver problem since both NICs are physically
still in the machine and enabled in the BIOS?

Any suggestions based on this information?

Any help is appreciated.
James