YUM: what is this error trying to tell me?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu May 12 12:53:48 UTC 2005

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>>On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 11:57 -0600, clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>>
>>>What is this error traceback trying to say?

>>I don't suppose you typed "Ctrl-D" instead of "y" or "n"?
>>

> No, the output you saw was from a script, which ran
>
>     yum -e 0 -d 1 list updates ; yum -e 0 -d 1 update
>
> If you suspect some problem with ^D, then perhaps I should add -y to
> the command line(s).

How are you running the script? At a shell prompt, or from a cron job?
Where does standard input for the script come from?

>>Is this repeatable?
>>

> It happened on two different machines, so it is repeatable,
> However, running just a
>
>     yum list updates
>
> and then
>
>     yum update
>
> later, by hand, ran just fine, without any errors (and where I typed in 'y' at
> the question)

Do you want the updates installed unconditionally? If so, add the -y
option. If you want to decide interactively, you certainly won't want to
use -y.

> Mumph.
>
> Any further thoughts?

P.S. Please don't Cc: me on replies to the list; I read the list and
don't need two copies of the mail.

Paul.