alsaconf error 1119 alsactl no such file

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu May 12 21:46:53 UTC 2005

This is with an snd-ens1371 card and alsa-xxx-1.0.8 on fc3 Hiedelberg
edition.  This error is returned when alsaconf tries to play a sound and
after the card is selected.  alsaconf then incorrectly claims the card is
ready when trying to play any sound on it fails even with the speaker
volumes raised.  The configure line on alsa-driver-1.0.8 looked like:
./configure --with-cards=snd-ens1371 --with-sequencer=yes
--with-isapnp=yes and I even threw in --with-redhat=yes out of
desperation.  snddevices ran successfully and alsa-lib and alsa-utils
built okay so far as I know.  For now I have no more ideas to try.