Mount option hazardous to USB Flash!

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri May 13 01:22:15 UTC 2005

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> 	I just got BURNed by this (literally).
>
> 	The hotplug logic for automounting USB flash memory includes the "sync"
> option.  If you are using stock USB flash keys/sticks/cards with
> FAT/VFAT file systems, this will eventually cause the flash to burn up
> (possibly sooner than later)!

I recommend reporting this as a bug against hotplug. I think Ubuntu
turns off sync for files beyond a particular size; this would be a good
start

It seems to me the issue needs some serious thought and attention. If
it's left to users, CF and such will continue to get fried.

It makes me wonder about getting a bigger SD card for my camera - it
presents as a USB disk, not as a camera and so could be subject to the
same problems.

--

Cheers
John