SATA drives in core 3

Saurabh Bathe sbathe at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:03:08 UTC 2005

Ryan Abell wrote:

>Hello,
>I am trying to install FC3 on an Alienware 7700, to a secondary hard
>disk. I am not really familiar with SATA drives, and Windows Xp has
>them as SCSI drives. Is there a recommended driver to use for these
>drives, or some other tactic i need to use in order for anaconda to
>detect them?
>Thank You

Hi Ryan,

Linux detects SATA drives as SCSI.

Generally your sata controller and the drives should be automatically
detected, unless you use the so called "hardware" RAID /fakeraid feature
of some of the onboard SATA controllers.
Though most of the controllers are natively supported and detected,
there might be a few which are not supported/poorly supported.
Telling us which controller you have would me more helpful.

-Saurabh