high memory usage fedora 3

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri May 13 09:42:02 UTC 2005

sid wrote:
> Hi..
> I am new to linux. I recently installed fedora 3 on my laptop (Dell
> latitude D600, 1.6 Ghz, 1 GB RAM and 1 GB swap).This a scenario that i
> face. i login into my system for about 30-40 minutes working with
> eclipse java ide, evolution, a couple of terminals and one or two other
> programs. The memory usage shoots to 90%...i close all applications. and
> open just one terminal to run top. I still see more than 70% memory
> usage. Why is this. Is there a problem with my installation or do you
> guys face the same problem?
> The partial output of top after I have closed all applications is given
> below. I have used x and M to sort by memory usage  to show you the
> processes using significant memory. Plz help...
> thanks
> Sid
>
> Tasks:  84 total,   1 running,  83 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  0.7% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.7% id,  0.0% wa,  0.3% hi,
> 0.0% si
> Mem:   1035268k total,   702652k used,   332616k free,    33816k buffers
> Swap:  1108444k total,        0k used,  1108444k free,   419888k cached

The "419888k cached" is the important figure. This tells you that the system
currently has 400MB of physical memory being used for caching the
filesystem, thus greatly reducing the latency of filesystem access (if the
file is in the cache).

This is a Good Thing.

If the memory being used for the cache is needed for running programs it
will be released.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555