Mysql Server Problem, with a fresh install

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:40:56 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, CIKALA Frédéric ROSI/SIPROD
<frederic.cikala at francetelecom.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm quite a beginner, and i need to launch a mysql database in order to use a database
> for apache&php.
> We i installed my fedora, i check the mysql box but now, when i look for the mysqld (with
> a find / ...) i do not find any.When i type mysql i got this error :
>
> [root at portailDEM ~]# mysql
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> [root at portailDEM ~]#
>
> so I checked the permission on this file and i found out that it didn't exists anyway
> In fact the repertory /var/lib/mysql doesn't even exist.
> I though that during the installation, the server will installed by itself, because of the
> checked box but ...
>
> How can i do to launch the server ?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> ps : here is the "locate mysql" return
>
> [root at portailDEM ~]# locate mysql
> /usr/bin/mysqltest
> /usr/bin/mysql_config
> /usr/bin/mysqldump
> /usr/bin/mysqlaccess
> /usr/bin/mysql_convert_table_format
> /usr/bin/mysqlbinlog
> /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables
> /usr/bin/mysqld_multi
> /usr/bin/mysqlimport
> /usr/bin/mysql_zap
> /usr/bin/mysql_setpermission
> /usr/bin/mysqlbug
> /usr/bin/mysql
> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db
> /usr/bin/mysqlcheck
> /usr/bin/mysqlshow
> /usr/bin/mysqldumpslow
> It looks install but it is only the client ?

You can see if you have got the mysql server installed with

  rpm -q mysql-server

You can see what other mysql-related rpms are installed with

  rpm -qa | grep mysql

If the server isn't installed you can install it with (as root)

  yum install mysql-server

Once it is installed, you can start with with (as root)

  service mysqld start

hth,

Dave...