Dual Boot for the same OS - with different functions

Rajiv jrajiv at hclinsys.com
Fri May 13 13:02:11 UTC 2005

Dear All,
 I have fedora core 3 installed in my machine. I would like to
 have two boot options in GRUB- for the same linux - fedora core 3. Both
 the options accesses exactly the same partitions. The difference
 between the two boot options is

 1. services each boot option starts up
 2. Environment variable exported in /etc/profile. For one boot option
    the environment variable exported should be different and for other
    the environment varible is default linux.
 3. Also there are two commands which I have added to /usr/sbin
    in one options which does different option in one boot option while
    for the other it is default linux.
4. For one boot option default boot level - /etc/inittab is GRAPHICAL
   while for the other it is TEXT.

 Is this possible in Linux. This may not be the right list to ask
 this question. I don't want to install the same OS twice with seperate /
partions
 for this. Pls give some initial guidance on this.

Regards,
Rajiv