My mouse is too enthusiastic!

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:40:25 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, Sharon Kimble <skimble04 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My new mouse (a gembird 2 button, 1 wheel. It has a little round green plug
> which plugs into the mouse port on the back of my machine.) is too
> enthusiastic! It is set up to double-click to open programs from icons, but
> frequently it opens Konqueror from its side panel as two instances, instead
> of the required one.
>
> When reading emails in KMail, it frequently jumps through one mail when I use
> the arrow button to move to the next unread message, decreases the email
> count by two, and marks the jumped-through email as being read ........
> although I haven't read it!
>
> And when spell-checking an email, its also jumping through two corrections and
> marking them both as corrected, even if the middle one is wrong!
>
> I've also found that when moving between the desktops using the mouse-wheel,
> it frequently goes the wrong way before reversing direction and going to the
> right desktop!
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf shows;-
> ========
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
> ========
>
> I've tried googling for an answer (using the search term 'mouse too fast on
> fedora core 3') but didn't find anything which seemed useful.
>
> Can anyone help me to slow it down and get it working properly please?
>
> Hopefully, thanks
> Sharon.
> --

Hi Sharon,

Try:
Control Center --> Peripherals --> Mouse --> Advanced

There's a control for the double click interval there.

Gustavo Seabra                                           Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.                                   Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
Say NO! to software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com